We are totally loving this cookbook bye Usha Lad and Dr Vasant Lad, cooking for health is so easy with this great resource. Here is a recipe to get your taste buds tingling. Enjoy.
This is the rice dish I have been sharing on our teacher training weekends, it has become my staple and my favourite – it is tri-doshic, so suitable for all constitutions.
Spicy Vegetable Rice
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup green beans, chopped
1/2 cup fresh peas
- (carrots, potatoes, cauliflower or broccoli may be added or substituted according to dosha)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch hing
- 12 whole cloves
8 bay leaves
- 10 cardamom pods
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon stick, broken into small pieces
2 pinches of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or more to taste
5 cups of water
- lime, coconut and cilantro for garnish
Wash the rice twice and drain. Wash and chop the vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
Put the garlic, ginger, cilantro, coconut and the 1/2 cup water in a blender. Blend until liquid and set aside.
Heat a good-sized saucepan on medium and add the ghee, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric and hing.
Cook for a moment until the seeds pop. Add the cloves, bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon and cayenne. Mix well.
Pour in the blended mixture and salt and cook until slightly browned. Stir in the rice and vegetables and mix well to coat with spices. Pour in the water and bring to a boil for a few minutes. Cover loosely and turn down the heat to low. Cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Garnish with fresh lime, a sprinkle of chopped cilantro and coconut.
~ This dish balances tridosha, because cooking the vegetables together gets rid of any individual aggravating qualities to a dosha.
For pitta, don’t use the garlic, cayenne or cloves in the recipe. It will still taste good!